The life and times of a thirtysomething suburban mom.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Can someone please tell me when life will slow down? Just when I thought we were getting a week off something else has to happen...my son broke his finger on the trampoline when he and his sister ran into each other. A finger, not the end of the world, right? Wrong! Of course, it had to be a dislocated compound fracture. We are going have it reset(I think they call it) tomorrow, along with some pins for good measure. It just so happens my son's only sport is track and field( not until the spring) safe...but...he has been playing piano for five years and recently picked up guitar. I may have mentioned that his new dream is start a band. I feel so bad for him. I cried when my husband called from the emergency room to tell me he would have to have surgery. This isn't his first trip to the emergency room. It isn't even his first broken bone. No, that happened when he was 18 months and he broke his leg. My son doesn't get the normal ear infections of childhood, he gets the kind where the eardrum busts and is bleeding on a Saturday evening or when we are on spring break in another state. I know there are many other horrible things that can happen to children, but I have to tell you I am already getting scared about the teenage years. He is smart and level headed, but one time is all it takes. He is already picking out his car and he is only eleven. Well, one battle at a time. I have to think positive and he will be back to his music playing in no time.

Julie Pippert, theartfulflower.blogspot.com, aptly calls her eldest child " Patience". I think that might be my new name for my eldest. That was definitely me growing up. I wanted to be older so bad...I wanted everything now. Patience has been one of the biggest virtues I have learned about in my life. I learn more everyday. As I went over the budget today I had to take a breath and remember it will all work out. We will be okay. We are doing what feels right to us.
One other virtue my husband and I were talking about recently is forgiveness. This is a very important and relevant virtue in my life, also. My children help me everyday, but as an adult life can be a bit more serious. I am working on this one and will talk more soon and on acceptance and forgiveness. I am working on an article for an online magazine about this subject and would love to hear any one's thoughts on the subject.

Just breathe:)

3 comments:

jeanie said...

had to comment on this one (and have no idea where I got the link to find you from - some time in the past 2 weeks...) because my daughter has also suffered a fracture in the past due to a trampoline accident - which was additionally bad as I had a hard and fast rule about "1 child at a time on the trampoline" due to my history of a trampoline related fracture in my childhood.

I know it doesn't make it any better (or does it - she shattered her humerus - it wasn't funny) and got the pins and operation and threatened palsy...

Forgiveness is a difficult one, as there are so many little individual definitions of what forgiveness really means. I think it means that you take the burden of something off your heart.

mpearl said...

Jeanie...thanks for your words of advice. He got the pins yesterday and the prognosis is good. He is great kid.

I really like your statement on forgiveness. Especially, "to take the burden of something off your heart". My husband says I wear my heart on my sleeve so people know when something is still bothering me. I think having children does that to us.

Unknown said...

It seems to go this way, when life sucks and you think it can't get suckier it does. That's when I start laughing because what else are you going to do. It's hard to laugh though when your child's in pain or suffering from a thwarted dream. Hope things get better.