The life and times of a thirtysomething suburban mom.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Imagine


I started off the afternoon a little sad because I am trying to throw a really nice birthday party for my daughter this Saturday but no one seems to be able to come. I found out from another mom that another little girl is having a party at the same time but she only invited half the class ( my daughter not included ). This mom of course is much more organized than I and sent her invites out 3 weeks ago. Oh, I feel terrible. The blessed angel I have for a daughter does not seemed fazed by it at the least, though. She is only 6 after all. We had a family party over the weekend and she was absolutely delighted. We went to a local fall festival and she loved shopping all the booths. She is definitely my daughter. I know I shouldn't care and I am trying not to get caught up in all the "who's party is better " crap, but I just hate disappointment on my child's face. If I know my angel she will still have the time of her life.

My son came home from school yesterday with his first heartache. He asked a girl to the Fall Carnival at school and she said no. I wanted to cry for him. I still can't believe he is already this age. I want to shelter him from it all. And it is just beginning. Today he came home a little happier because she told him she does like him but she is not allowed to call or go out with boys until she's twelve. So they will just be very good friends at school. I like this girl already. The 6th grade dance is coming up before you know it, though. If only,...

Then tonight all the other stuff seemed silly when I found out my aunt and Godmother has uterine cancer. My mom and her sister. Then a friend told me her mom was just diagnosed with melanoma-skin cancer. WTF!!! These women aren't even 60. I am thinking of moving to a bubble soon. But will that even help. Then it got me thinking(there I go again)...is my children's social lives really silly. NO, these are the kinds of things that count. When I think of my childhood, I love my parents for all the little and wonderful things they did. Nothing was too trivial for them. They made every minute count. Family vacations were always a must. Even when I bawked. But I can't even remember why I protested, but I sure do remember visiting Yellowstone Park, Disney World, and Washington DC with my parents. Yes, I remember broken hearts and bumps and bruises along the way, but I also remember my parents always being there doing the best they can. Even if I couldn't see that then. I was loved (still am ).My sister and brother were loved. We all have the same great memories so they must have been doing something right. I just hope my children feel the same way when they are older. I have a small hunch my hubby and I are doing something right. They are truly great kids and I love them to pieces.
I pray for all the sick and suffering people in this world. I also pray for the people in the world who do not have a family who loves and supports them as much as mine has. No one is perfect but everyone wants to be loved. We all need each other. " Imagine all the people..."

No comments: