The life and times of a thirtysomething suburban mom.

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Stay Out Of My Sandbox

Some things will just never change. There will always be the people who think they are more important or better than everyone else. I try not to let it bother me but it still does. Only three little girls from my daughter's class came to her party out of 20 kids. I know ten of them went to the other girls party. This is only kindergarten. My angel mentioned that not too many people showed up but she was ever grateful for the people who did come. They are good friends, too. I couldn't help notice who was invited and who wasn't and it made it obvious to me. I wanted to scream and yell. I wanted to tell this oblivious women doesn't she know who she is messing with. This school isn't about how much money you have. Or is it. Does it always have to come to that for some people. I have been overly active in our school for seven years now. I personally know all the PTA board members and the staff knows my children and I by name. Maybe I have personal issues from my own childhood of people who constantly tried to exclude others. I always presumed it was the child but I didn't realize it was their parents they were learning it from. Accidents happen. Oversights happen. But when it is so in your face obvious it can hurt. Maybe it is the girl thing....it luckily has never happened with my son. I love our small school. It is wonderful. I don't want it to change. But it is much easier to get lost in a big school. And sometimes that is just where I like to be. My daughter is already over it but the other mother's and I want to meet her in the parking lot after school. It is funny how your maternal instinct will kick in and you would do almost anything to protect your offspring. You start thinking of ways to mentally torture this predator. I know I am overreacting just a smidgen, but getting this off my chest will help. I do have a tiny weeny vindictive side, but it only lasts for a day or two. (usually). Really, I'm almost over it. Really!! Almost!!

Okay, one other, a little more controversial thing, public versus private school. My mil is pushing the private school thing again. Even if it was a realistic for us to fork over 20k a year for private school I still wouldn't want to. Like repeatedly said, I like our schools. Granted, our middle school and high school are not number one in the state, but they are still wonderful. Also, wouldn't it just be cheaper to move if they are that bad. My mil says her friends are telling her "all the kids are using meth." My husband said, " that's just because they can't afford coke" Ha-ha! Seriously, we still have an excellent graduation rate and a good percentage that go on to college. Also, like I have probably said before, I think we have a pretty awesome home life. We are close with our kids and extended family. I believe this makes a difference. I have nothing against private schools. My husband and I both attended them at some time in our lives. I just think a lot of the crap people complain about at public schools you can also find at private schools. If you have the money and desire go for it. I am happy where I am and would like to help promote our public school system to the better. My mil is one of the pushier mil's and she refers to my children as hers " I have found some great private schools we can send our boy to."
Anyway, I am a big girl and can do my own research. And take care of my own children. Beware: I don't mind getting dirty especially when it is my own sandbox.

No comments: