The life and times of a thirtysomething suburban mom.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

My Middle Is Gone

This has been a very busy and exciting week. My oldest daughter, who is my middle child, started kindergarten on Monday. Yes, we start very early down here. My son started sixth grade. That is still elementary school here. Although, he doesn't act like it.Of course, true to her nature she barely batted an eye when I dropped her off on Monday morning. I was about to cry if it weren't for all the parents huddled around the kindergarten wing together. We are a cute bunch. I am much calmer this time around. When my son began kindergarten I was 81/2 months pregnant with his sister and getting notes home and phone calls by the second week of school. Not to mention this was September 2001, so life was slightly crazy and scary anyway. I feel a better sense of calm while she is at school. I know this school. It is right behind me. I lived up there for the past six years. She did get the only new teacher in kindergarten and my son had all the others at some time or other. I was a little disappointed, but I know we can handle this. She comes home everyday and gives me a full report on the days event. My son still only gives one word answers unless it is bedtime. He had to even ask her to stop talking the first day because he wanted to tell me something. They are so cute walking into school together. He is already 5'6" and she is barely 4ft. I know this is what we parents work for but, preparing our children for leaving the nest, but I was secretly glad I still had little 3 to stay home with. She is watching Caulliou and running around in her Dora underwear. We have just recently become potty trained, by my standards. We will have to tackle preschool in a couple of weeks, but she will only be down the hall from me. I am not ready for all three to be gone all day, yet. I know this will come soon and by 5pm I am ready to throw them outside, smog alert or not. I am just trying to cherish every moment and do the best I can. Some people are worried about this teacher or that, going to middle school, testing etc...I am trying to be active, but I am learning to say no, too. I also try to do my homework when it comes to curriculum but not one system I've looked into is perfect. Our little niche has a small school, only 565 students in six grades, by most standards. There are varying levels of economic situations , especially when you get to middle and high school, but I love our area and the home we have built together as a family. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I believe it is important to put down roots somewhere, if you can. Somewhere your family can truly call home. I am so glad I get the opportunity to know one place where my children can thrive and I can too. School has a large place in children's lives so we better make it count.
I had big plans after school started to workout and work more on my writing but other things have come into play. Like, sleep and laundry. This will be okay. I am learning to adjust and be happy where my life is now. My heart has sank to where my middle used to be and I am not sure I want it back the other way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about our community.