The life and times of a thirtysomething suburban mom.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Life As A House

My husband and I have been building a home for the past twelve years. I mind you, we also live in this home. We live in this home with our three children and a dog. My husband and his family don't believe in banks so everything is done with cash on hand. Because we were not blessed with endless funds but instead some knowledge, we build this home as we go. This home has become a symbol of our accomplishments. When we first got married and decided to start building we became students of architecture and design. In retrospect it was great for our marriage to learn about each other and compromise. We seemed to add more to our family as we added more to our home. Or maybe it was the other way around. This house isn't just pieced together, but a collaboration of life experiences. For me, one of the biggest lessons I have been privileged to learn over and over again is patience. The " I want it now " society we all live in is hard to ignore. Sometimes I get very discouraged in our venture, especially when someone thinks they should impart their own knowledge. It can be hard to stick to your principles, but I know the reward will be worth the sacrifice. I remind myself life is a journey, not a race to the end. I try to use this new found knowledge in everyday life. One day I will let you know how it ends, but for now I will try to post pictures and keep you up to date.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so freaking cool! I have not met anyone who is actually doing this. How do you and your husband not kill each other?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your analogy. I think this was a movie with Kevin Kline.
Good luck.